Size 4, too fat?

2.19.2010

I just heard about a fellow Canadian, model Coco Rocha (pictured above) being too fat for runway. Her measurments are 32-24-34, 5'10", size 4...too fat are you kidding me? The current sample size for runways is a 0.
Last time I checked my measurments were 32-25-36, 107lbs, size 2 and I'm 5'4". People tell me I'm too skinny and I'm trying my best to consume as much protein as possible to gain some weight. So can you imagine what a 5'10" woman looks like as a size 0? I understand that runway models are supposed to be considered "walking hangers" to put the focus on the clothing and not the person but this is ridiculous. It's a wonder why so many people out there have eating disorders!!

Eating disorders:
  • Anorexia nervosa, in which you become too thin but you don't eat enough because you think you are fat.
  • Bulimia nervosa, involving periods of overeating followed by purging, sometimes through self-induced vomiting or using laxatives.
  • Binge-eating, which is out-of-control eating.
Here are just a few statistics:
  • 1 in 5 woman suffer from an eating disorder
  • 70 million individuals are affected by eating disorders worldwide, with 24 million being American (10-15 % are male)
  • Eating disorders have the highest mortality rate of any mental illness
  • 90% of women with eating disorders are between the ages of 12 and 25
  • Without treatment up to 20% of those with serious eating disorders will die
A few celebrities who have suffered from an eating disorder:
  • Paula Abdul
  • Karen Carpenter
  • Jane Fonda
  • Tracey Gold
  • Elton John
  • Jamie Lynn-Sigler
  • Princess Diana
  • Alanis Morissette 
  • Ashlee Simpson
  • Calista Flockhart
  • Fiona Apple
  • Geri Halliwell
  • Kate Beckinsale
  • Kate Winslet
  • Mary-Kate Olsen
  • Victoria Beckham

11 Comments »

This entry was posted on 2.19.2010 and is filed under ,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

11 Responses to “Size 4, too fat?”

Kristy said...

thanks for posting about this. clearly, size 4 is not FAT!especially when someone is 5'10". Heck, i'm only 5'6" and i wear size 6! i miss the 90s models, like cindy, claudia,and linda!they're the true supermodels!

www.monochromachic.com

Marie a la Mode said...

I think it's great you brought attention to this on your blog.

melissa rose said...

I'm so incredibly happy she came to Gemma Ward's defense. Coco is gorgeous, and a perfect spokes model for reforming the rules of modeling.

I'm in the exact same boat as you, 5'3, 34-25-33. I'm a size 4 as well, (well an average of 2 on bottom and 6 on top!) and have also been told I'm too damn skinny. I recently gained a few and personally I think (and the bf agrees) I look MUCH better.
Looking emaciated is NOT HOT. And projecting that unrealistic image that requires unhealthy eating habits to attain is sick.

Thanks again for posting this!

The Fashion Cloud said...

I read about this, you should read what coco rocha say s about this in her blog, I think it was taken out of context. But I agree with you it's crazy!!

xx

Anonymous said...

It's sick how the media makes women feel like shit about their bodies. We struggle enough as it is without other people, especially women, telling us that we don't look good enough.
How am I supposed to see what an outfit is going to look like on me if all the models are stick-thin?

I've lost weight and my mom keeps commenting on how thin I am, now. So basically that means she didn't think I was thin before. She even said to me..."not that you were heavy, HEAVY before". Because of these comments I feel like I shouldn't eat so that I don't even gain a single pound. I feel guilty when I do go overboard with food.

Thank you for sharing this info.

MzUnicaHija19 said...

How sad is that?!

Sybil said...

i love coco!!!! my gosh.. such a shame for having that issue with her size. i think no one else can work it like her in the canadian runways..

Kierryn Harris said...

There is such unrealistic expectations put on women to be thin. It's not healthy for the human body to go through that. Besides, who wants to look at a stick. I much prefer looking at a woman with nice shape than a skeleton.

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to point out that anorexia is a lot more than thinking you're fat. It's not brought on by looking at pictures of models or actresses - or else it would be more common. It's a self-harm related mental illness, like cutting, where a person stops eating as a way of trying to gain control in their chaotic life (much like cutters will harm themselves if they are having a bad day). Anorexics realize they look terrible and that they are harming themselves, yet they cannot eat because they become addicted to starvation. Of all the anorexics I have worked with, none of them were obsessed with fashion models or actresses - or even cared who they were. They are most often girls who are abused, or put under tremendous amounts of stress through school or sport and unfortunately deal with this stress though self-harm.

Unknown said...

Yay to curves! I am all about them! I am 5'4" too and I have the measurements 34", 25", 36" and modeling companies have turned me down because my butt is too "big"! It's a crazy world we live in! I can't imagine being much thinner... and it is crazy to me that people much taller than me are so tiny, I haven't fit into a zero since I was 15! I wonder when everyone is going to realize that being sickly thin is not healthy and people are more likely to buy your products if they can relate to the ads... It's pretty simple marketing and I don't know why it is taking us so long to figure out.

Http://dirt-cheapchic.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

What an amazing Smart casual dress code and great photos!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...